Large videos are not just bad for overall page load times and provide a negative user experience, they can also negatively impact your site’s SEO as fast page load times are an important factor that Google and others take into consideration. Therefore, compressing videos before using them on a website is the way to go.
Even though vooPlayer optimizes your uploaded files in many ways it's recommended that when possible, provide an optimal starting point for the process.
It is important to ensure videos get accepted by as many browsers on as many phones, tables, laptops and operating system combos as possible. Unfortunately to-date, there is no one format/video codec/audio codec combination to rule them all.
To ensure compatibility with most browsers and devices, our best recommendation is to convert videos to MP4 before using them on websites and encode them with H.264 codec.
Just like images, videos should be optimized for the web. Many video uploads and especially self-hosted videos fail to stream quickly and often pause during playback. Fortunately, there are plenty of programs that will reformat videos, rearranging file settings for faster playback, which helps them stream more smoothly across a multitude of devices.
Our best recommendation is a free software program called Handbrake, an open source video transcoder.
Handbrake is extremely easy to use. To optimize a video for the web using Handbrake:
- Select your video by clicking “File”
- Set the destination of where the video gets saved in the appropriate box
- Choose the preset Very Fast 720p30
- In the “Framerate” field set it to “Constant Framerate” of about 20 (good) to 25 (decent). This feature automatically sets a good video quality
- Check the small “Web Optimized” box
- Now click the “Start” button and start encoding
Recommended Settings for HD Video
For those of you who just need the settings, here are our basic recommendations what to use when compressing HD video (where the original is 1920 x 1080 pixels) for upload to the web:
- Format MP4 (file extension .mp4)
- Codec: H264 (High profile)
- Frame Rate: 24, 25 or 30 (Constant)
- Frame Size / Resolution: 1280 x 720 (720p)
- Fields: Progressive
- Bitrate: 5,000 – 10,000 kbit/s
- Codec: AAC-LC
- Bitrate: 320 kbit/s
- Sample Rate: 44.100 OR 48,000 kHz (retain original sample rate)